Wednesday 3 March 2021

The Futility of New Music and the joy of 45 Radio

 Afternoon Mugs,

It strikes me that the older I get along the line of my life, the less I can be bothered with 'new music'. I'm sure there is tons of great new music out there, but the truth is my 'music' brain is at bursting point. I have the resources of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and to a lesser degree from 2000 onwards to draw on. A huge cornucopia of all sorts of music literally running from te pop maestros, Abba, thought to rockers ZZ Top. 

Every day I will see people my age and older espousing the greatness of BBC 6 Music, it's eclectic mix of obscure album tracks, old forgotten rarely play hits and 'new music'. I do listen from time to time...but it's occasional 'yes' moments punctuated by huge swathes of 'what the fuck was that/who the fuck is that/play something I know' and I've furrowed my brow as to why. My conclusion is as above, my brain is full of the music I need to live the rest of my life without getting bored. It's now like a closed club, many thousands of tracks, bands and artists are members. There is always room for additions but the entry criteria is getting tougher by the day. Almost all 'new music' that I will buy is accidentally heard from adverts, football marketing and occasional times my children/grandchildren play something that catches the ear. 

 And yet, there are people who will always findn it weird...they'll allude to me not being quite right because I have not kept up with the latest trends, artists and tunes. Music today is not as important as it was in the 50s-90s, it has become more frgmented in genere, radio sttions have ever decreasing playlists...here's a Heart tune (Alone), Eurythmics (There Must Be a Stranger Playing With My Heart' , Marvin Gaye? Sexual Healing of course, T-Rex? Get It On...... ....name the  band or artist and it won't be hard to guess the song most likely to be played. 

One radio station I do listen to is 45 Radio, an absolute gem in that it does regularly stray from the standard songs  and plays so many songs I literally haven't heard in ages, or haven't heard from that glory period of music from the 50s onwards. And as a bounus, there's virtually no ads other thn sponsors names on occasions with the jungles. It's not fresh new music, it's the very best of music from every decade you rmemeber. Check it out if like me you simply don't have the time or inclination to waste your listening time with stuff you either don't like, can't get into and would never want to own. You can find it here...

45 Radio

 

Later Mugs, GJ


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your brains!